AJT | Chief Financial Officer Job Description
Chief Financial Officer
The CFO will report to both the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors. This dual reporting role allows for a broad scope of responsibility.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
In the CFO role, this individual will direct and have responsibility for the organization’s accounting practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records, the preparation, promotion and interpretation of financial reports for management and external groups. The CFO will direct and have overall responsibility for internal controls, forecast, financial reporting, and budgetary controls. Responsibilities include:
- Generates timely and accurate financial and management reports on a consistent basis: weekly, monthly and quarterly.
- Interprets operating results as they affect the financial aspects of the organization and makes specific recommendations for cost reduction and/or profit improvement.
- Participates in quarterly Board of Director meetings and present as necessary
- Manages payroll and other human resource activities.
- Researches, implements and maintains hardware and software used in the business.
- Assist in due diligence and post-acquisition integration for add-on investments
- Develops accounting policies to comply with generally accepted accounting principles, tax requirements, and management reporting requirements.
- Exercises accounting control to insure that budgeted expenditures do not exceed amounts authorized without proper approval.
- Assumes responsibility for accounting classifications of all expenditures and documents.
- Establishes formal internal control policies and procedures.
- Signs tax returns, checks, and other documents assigned by the CEO.
An undergraduate degree in accounting, finance, and/or business administration is required. A minimum of six years accounting and financial experience is required. Excellent skills are required in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), and written/verbal communication skills are critical. Requirements include:
- CPA license
- National or large regional accounting firm experience
- Basic working knowledge of cost accounting
- MBA a plus, not required
- Entrepreneurial business experience a plus, not a requirement
- QuickBooks financial software experience a plus
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
The ideal candidate is a CPA with confidence and leadership skills who is focused on adding value to the organization, not simply focused on historical results. Candidates should have excellent organizational skills and process/project management abilities, with a strong attention to detail. The position will require effective communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with management, the Board of Directors, customers and vendors.
- Computer proficiency is essential, including advanced experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Skilled in budgeting and planning and responsible for the annual budget process.
- Strong interpersonal skills required in dealing effectively with human resource issues, outside auditors, bankers, and board of directors.
- Hands-on individual with a strong work ethic.
Competitive annual base salary supplemented by a performance oriented annual incentive plan including equity participation.
< Back to Job Descriptions Library
Featured Accounting Jobs Today!
Featured Accounting Schools
BS Accounting, BS Business/Accounting, MBA Accounting, MS Accountancy
AA Accounting, BS Business Administration
BS Accounting, MS Accounting