AJT | Collections Manager Job Description
POSITION PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
The position of Collections Manager is responsible for overseeing the collection efforts of approximately $30m accounts receivable balances for 10 different companies. The manager is also responsible for the supervision of the collections and cash applications staff. (currently a team of 8). In addition, the Manager will also work closely with outside Collection Agencies as well as performing credit and collections for the largest and most sensitive customer accounts. The Manager would also work closely with the Controller concerning Corporate HQ General Ledger matters, Bankruptcies and semi-annual audit reporting requests. The job does not require performing credit analysis on potential customers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Based on the Monthly Aging, collections letters are to be sent to all customers with balances less than $1,000 that are over 60 days past due as well as customers with balances greater than $1,000 that are over 60 days past due. Accounts over 90 days past due receive a Payment Demand Letter with the promise of service interruption if payment is not received within ten business days.
- Placing direct phone calls and E-mails to customers that are past due.
- Works closely with the Billing Department to implement processes and policies that contribute to accurate invoicing.
- If service were to be stopped for non-payment, this position would be responsible for approving the sending of a final demand letter.
- Turning accounts over to an outside Collections Agency after 60 days of collection efforts, service having already been stopped and the amount due is greater than $500.
- Relays to Controller any and all accounts that need to be written off to bad debt.
- Maintains Bankruptcy files on customers within the assigned Company Numbers.
- Prepares documentation necessary to create the Credit or Debit Memo necessary to true up a customer account.
- Oversees and assists with the clean up of RU’s (unapplied receipts), short paid invoices and Charge Backs.
- Addressing ongoing customer complaints concerning billing or service rendered and works on complaints of service failures with designated departments.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- High School diploma (or G.E.D.) and a college degree is required.
- This position requires the incumbent to have at least 5 years of experience in collecting, accounts receivable or a related area.
- This position requires good written, oral and reading communication skills in order for the incumbent to accurately obtain, interpret and transcribe a variety of communications and instructions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office for Windows (Outlook, Word, and Excel) is required.
- This position requires excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to adjust and interact with all levels of personnel.
- Incumbent must be multitask oriented, organized, set priorities and meet deadlines and take pride in one’s work.
- Has supervisory responsibilities on special projects concerning Collections.
< Back to Job Descriptions Library
Featured Accounting Jobs Today!
Featured Accounting Schools
BS Accounting, BS Business/Accounting, MBA Accounting, MS Accountancy
AA Accounting, BS Business Administration
BS Accounting, MS Accounting