AJT | Cost Accountant Job Description
The Construction Cost Accountant performs professional level accounting work in the maintenance and review of fiscal records. The position requires considerable knowledge of basic accounting principles and accounting functions. This individual is responsible for the general ledger, job cost, bank reconciliations and accounts payable. Additional responsibilities include performing monthly closings, maintenance of accounting files, and preparation/organization of various financial forms, reports, and financial analyses, etc. This individual may be asked to assist with ad-hoc projects and general office support tasks when necessary. These responsibilities and tasks will be coordinated with and supervised by the Senior Project Controller.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Average Percent of Time
20% • Handle and process all aspects of construction payables, including coding, processing contract award work sheets and maintenance of the job cost chart of accounts.
15% • Process contractors payment applications for monthly billings
15% • Assist in the preparation of loan draws and capital calls from both Joint Venture partner and parent company.
15% • Assist in the preparation of Joint Venture, Lender and company financial reporting requirements.
15% • Perform monthly close and related journal entries, using JD Edwards.
15% • Monthly review of job cost activity ensuring consistent and proper coding.
5% • Monitor fixed asset activity in detail. Generate month-end depreciation and amortization entries.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
• Ability to access and accurately input information using JD Edwards.
• Must have considerable knowledge with basic accounting principles (i.e. journal entries, debits, credits, etc.) and accounting functions. Job cost and construction experience will be key for this position.
• Ability to work independently and complete duties and projects with little direct supervision.
• Ability to accurately work under pressure in meeting deadlines.
• Must have excellent organizational skills.
• Must be proficient with Excel, Word and Outlook applications.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in the field of accounting or other related field. Experience may be considered as a substitute for this requirement.
• Prefer at least 2 years of general accounting experience working with JD Edwards.
• Background in construction accounting.
< Back to Job Descriptions Library